build the fastest ecommerce platform
Of course, this can be defined in numerous ways.
Since it'll be a work-in-progress the first milestone will be to power the ecommerce that we will launch on Daje Gård where we'll be selling plants, tree, seeds and similar things.
One could assume that just using React (or similar) would make the site fast, or at least appear fast. And this is true, to some extent.
But I'm aiming a few notches higher. Even if React is fast, it's still around 106 kB to load. Maybe Mithril is a better option, to make the first page load faster?
And even if the rendering is fast, the backend needs to be able to keep up.
The database of the ecommerce I've run for over 10 years is not even 2GB in size. And that includes old products no longer visible and everything else that isn't used on a daily basis. It could easily fit in RAM (with copy on disc).
Which led me to Mnesia. After a few simple tests, Mnesia seems to be the database to use for data that is used very often (products, top lists and similar things).
It's difficult to properly define "fastest ecommerce platform". Maybe I should change it to "the ecommerce platform made up of the fastest components I can find"?
No comments:
Post a Comment